Friday, November 28, 2014

So, I'm in America right now.


As I am writing this, I have been in America for four days!

God has been so gracious, the culture shock was very gradual-- Kesinga to Vizag, Chennai to London, New York to North Carolina. It was a very gradual immersion and it was very gentle. In fact, I enjoyed coming back! I missed a lot of things about America...Pizza, freedom, shorts, good coffee, public libraries, cheese, loud American laughter, being a single woman and still feeling confident. Heck, the women walk with confidence and self-respect here. America is fantastic. This is my first home. My country. Cheese. So much cheese. I haven't had cheese in half a year. Cheese. God bless America.

The culture shock was not as bad as I had imagined, and the worst of the culture shock was getting used to the fact that everything in America is built for tall Americans--in South Asia, everything is built for people much, much shorter than me! My body had to even adjust to the height of the steps leading to my room! 

I was assuming that I'd become very very sad when I got home-- but the truth is, I am excited and very happy. I happy to see my family and friends and visit everyone and I am so excited for the future. It's really so hard to be sad when there is so much to look forward to! Yes, I am sad that I am away from my Indian family, but I am so excited to work hard, learn Hindi, study for nursing school and then, one day, see my Indian family again!

I am excited and happy. I am so happy to be here. America is great and I missed it allot. 

Now. If you'll excuse me, I am going to simultaneously drink some dark coffee, play a game boy, watch netflix and laugh obnoxiously loud with my family.  

Love you guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment