Tuesday, November 18, 2014

As soon as you read this, please pray

know you all know how I feel about the hospitals here- "malpractice" isn't a word here; if it was, there'd be no doctors. In fact, to put that into perspective, let me remind you that just last month, 25 infants died in a Malda hospital of malnutrition because nurses just didn't show up for work (http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/Infant-Deaths-up-to-25-in-Malda-Hospital-in-West-Bengal/2014/10/28/article2497317.ece). 

I wish I could say these things in a more polite manner, but I can't. I'm infuriated with what has happened in the last two days and every moment I am in a hospital here I am convinced ever the more that I will study in med school as hard as mentally possible so that my cubs can have even the least bit compassion and care in their favor. 

Let me get to the point. 

Yesterday, we took Sanjay to the hospital.
...I will allow myself to be graphic in my descriptions because I want you to know what is truly going on here, heaven forbid me to sugar coat anything that is truly happening here. (2 Corinthians 2:4-- For I wrote to you out of much affliction and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to cause you pain but to let you know the abundant love I have for you...)

Sanjay was throwing up many times, throwing up blood, even his urine was black with blood. His left side, by his kidneys, was hard and stiff. His kidneys were shutting down. We are assuming, even now when I write this, that his heart is experiencing failure.

We took him to the hospital and waited, forever, for a doctor to just DO something. 

No doctor came. 

The doctor, the same doctor that showed no compassion or love to Brundaban (see previous posts) when he had a gaping head wound, sat nonchalantly behind a desk, doing nothing. I became infuriated. This was an emergency. Sanjay's internal organs were shutting down. Instead of doing what I wanted to do (punch him in the throat), I calmly went in and said in broken Hindi to "hurry up please, he has thrown up blood many times" and he, unphased, told me to go away.

I left. I went in again, asking again, calmly, please hurry. This is serious. He's throwing up blood. I got ignored again.

I got table-flipping mad. I stormed out. I loudly cracked my knuckles and neck and went back in, this time, loudly speaking my horrible broken Hindi-- JAILDE CHALO. Quickly do. He is throwing up blood. His urine is black. Hurry up. NOW. 

The doctor then said "he's throwing up blood?" And I said YES. Take him in. NOW.

I kept going, like the persistent widow...at the time I did not know if it was holy or not to show so much anger, but as of now, I realize that it needed to be done, I continued the day as the persistent widow, praying through what was holy anger and what was not. It was very difficult to discern.

We continued on to another doctor who did not know what he was doing, when presented with the urine sample he made us go to the blood testing area. After waiting for blood testing they said no, go to the urine testing. You need a special paper for urine testing...and the ticket office for the special paper was closed. Everyone in the ticket office was eating or taking naps. I can't make this stuff up.

I thought that, if I were persistent enough, the lab would just have to take the sample without a ticket. So, I went to the urine lab.

At the urine lab, I was greeted by the sight of several dozens of sick people waiting for their urine to be tested. I realized I did not have the special golden ticket for urine testing, so, instead, I parted through all of the people and said "sir, please take this. It is an emergency. The ticket office is closed and this is an emergency. Please test this." To which the lab tech said, "what is this black liquid?" I replied, "this is bloody urine, sir." "Oh..." "Please test this. Now." "Okay, come back in one hour"

That felt a little too easy.

After waiting an hour an a half, I went back up to the desk. I noticed that the whole hospital was shutting down for the day. Oh heck nah. No one was behind the desk. 

So I just kinda ran into the urine lab without permission.

I then started yelling in horribly broken Hindi to hurry it up, you said it'd be an hour. Hurry it up. Sanjay's organs are failing. The hospital is shutting down. What is this stupidity, ye kya bewakoofe hai?!

That seemed enough for the lab to give the report, which I think was already finished half an hour before I stormed in, momma lion, snarling and mad. We then quickly admitted him, got him to an IV, finally got him in a bed (before this, he was laying on Alexis' lap, horribly in pain)

Alexis is such a good "mom"... She held onto Sanjay, who was moaning in pain, softly stroked his hair, prayed over him, made sure he was safe and as comfortable as possible and had water as momma lion went to go snarl at the bad guys.

Through all of this I did my best to inform Catherine, beautiful, selfless Catherine, of her supportee and brother Sanjay's health. Cat had lived here in Kesinga for a while and had become very close to Sanjay and I know Sanjay looks up to her. I told him many times that Cat is praying for him. Cat is praying, your big sister is praying. Hold on. That made him smile a lot.

I have no idea where to end this, as I write this, Sanjay is on a 9-hour train ride to a better hospital, throwing up often and unable to drink water... I don't know what to say. I don't know how to make this blog post sound nice. I can't make it some poetic post and I will be honest, my heart hurts. 

Here's the truth: Our God is alive. Our God is strong. Take heart--He's overcome this world. He's defeated death. By His wounds we are healed. 

Here's what I desperately need for you all to do right now: Pray. Pray to our God, our God who is so alive. Pray. Go before the throne on behalf of Sanjay. As soon as you read this, please fall on your knees. 

I love you all. Please keep praying.

6 comments:

  1. We are praying!!! Alexis your a live Angel!Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis :
    I also pray for all of you helping him find help to get well.For you all to stay healthy & strong! Love, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please anyone that could help financially send a donation to his medical bills, Sanjay globalhope.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for God's will in all of this. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. praying, praying, praying. sweet sanjay is in jesus' hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Brooke for posting again am happy Sanjay is better now.

    ReplyDelete